Monday, November 8, 2010

Brown Creeper!

I really do live a charmed life. I get to see so many cool birds, and get to hang out with cool people. This past weekend at Springbrook Nature Center banding, I learned a ton of new (to me) information about birds from Ron Refsnider, and then - we had a Brown Creeper in hand! This is not exactly a Holy Grail, but probably not far from it. Check out how tiny they really are. And then - marvel at those long nails on the toes. The bi-colored decurved beak. And the beautiful russet feathers at the base of the tail. And while we are talking about that tail - check out the sharply pointed tips. This bird promptly flew to a near-by tree trunk and hunkered against it, in the posture I am used to seeing.



























No comments:

Post a Comment