Monday, March 7, 2011

Great Horned Owls nesting

People ask me all the time where to find owls. I always tell them that they are all around us, and several species seem to not only survive but flourish in metro/urban areas. A pair of Great Horned Owls in the Uptown/Minneapolis area are working on their family for this year. It is hard to see - but I put a red circle around the tail of the female as she is sitting on her eggs in this squirrel nest.



The fact that the male obviously knows I am here means that I was not as sneaky as I should have been. The crows in the area let me know where they were, and so I was probably not his biggest concern, but it is always a good idea to not interrupt their lives too much with human presence. I wish them luck! It is not done being cold yet!










No comments:

Post a Comment