Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rose-breasted goodness - I mean Grosbeak

I really, really did think I wanted to get Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in the nets. I mean seriously - what a hunk of bird, huh? And theoretically, I knew what a beak like that could do to fingers as you come into contact removing them from the nets. But theory is not reality - a pinch hard enough to make your finger tips go numb - now that's reality. I was still happy to have them. After about 15 minutes anyway.

The first male is a SY (second year) - can you see the spotting on the sides, and the brownish feathers that contrast with the darker ones? The second head and back shots are of an ASY (after second year) male - more crisp, fresh feathers, and more uniformly black with little to no contrast.















No comments:

Post a Comment